About Me

Traveling the country, United States

Sunday, June 30, 2024

Scotland #5

 Friday, June 7

Today we really didn’t have any set plans except to travel to our next hotel.  We did take a drive to Glen Etive.  It is a beautiful area that is used in many films, the most well known being James Bond’s Skyfall.  I have never seen it but will have to look it up.  The drive out there is long and the single track is bumpy.  I am not sure it is worth the drive.

We did take a drive around Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National park on our way to the hotel. We are spending the next two nights at Cameron House. It is a beautiful baronial mansion surrounded by 100acres of woodland. We were a bit disappointed in our room the first night.  It was very small with Two twin beds and a rollaway.  We barely had room to walk around. Unfortunately the hotel was booked for that night and we couldn’t change.  We spoke to our tour company and they got us booked into a small suite for the second night.  We did decide to keep both rooms and asked if that was okay.  They checked and we were able to do that so I had the first room and Aimee and Rory took the other.  It was partly my fault as I did book two rooms originally, I thought I would save a bit of money.  I won’t make that mistake again.  I told the hotel I was more than willing to pay for the second room but they didn’t charge me for it! We had dinner on site at their more casual restaurant, La Vista.  It is an Italian style restaurant.  I had a calzone that was way too big.  I did ask for a side salad and they threw together a something.  Salads are not something you find a lot in Scotland, surprisingly.  Rory had spaghetti carbonara and he loved it.  He did have dessert, a banana split but it wasn’t what we were used to.  It was a banana split in half lengthwise, then brûlées, and a scoop of ice cream.  

None of us took pictures today.


Saturday, June 8

Today was a casual day for us.  We are not leaving the hotel grounds.  We met for breakfast and Rory was not happy with the selection of food.  He can’t wait to get back home and have his dad’s scrambled eggs.  The ones here are too runny for all of us.  Aimee has mostly been having fruit for breakfast while I alternate between yougurt and porridge.  I also have fruit or granola with them.  Anyway, I asked the waiter if there was any chance they could whip up some pancakes for Rory and they obliged.  He was happy with those.  

After breakfast we headed out for our Flaconry Experience.  Our instructor was a bit late but it was worth it.  I was unable to partake because you need to use your left arm for the birds to land and that was my bad one, but the others did.  I took pictures and videos.  




It was really cool and we all enjoyed it.  There was one bird who didn’t want to listen and at one point flew away.  He had a tracker on him and the instructor was able to catch him.  

After that I took a quick nap and Aimee and Rory went to lunch then headed to the pool.  It was a really nice pool area and there were a lot of kids there.  


Dinner was in the fancier restaurant, the Cameron Grill.  Here are some more pictures around the grounds







 


1 comment:

Rose said...

I was surprised how dark Rory's hair is! Falconry! Wow!