About Me

Traveling the country, United States

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Homestead, FL Day 3

Wednesday, 6/17/2015
Homestead, FL
Everglades

Today is our last day here in Homestead.  Tomorrow we head down to the Keys.  We have seen some interesting signs here in Florida.  One said - Caution low flying owls.  Another was a Panther Crossing sign.  And of course the Alligator crossing.  It is still hot and muggy here.  I hope it is a bit cooler in the Keys.

Today we headed into Everglades National Park.  There are actually three different areas you can visit the Everglades through.  We are using the southern most entrance.  The other two we passed on our drive down from Fort Myers.  They are the Shark Valley and Gulf Coast entrances.  We drove to the Visitor's Center and got a map and looked at the various exhibits.  The Everglades do not look like what I thought they would.  They are not a swamp.  We also did not see many animals.  I thought there would be lots of birds and alligators.  The park rangers said it was too hot for the alligators and they were hiding in the grasses and water.



We did see some fish, a turtle, a few birds, and a whole lot of grasshoppers.





We drove the entire 38 miles out to the end of the road at Flamingo.  This area was hit hard ten years ago by Katrina and another hurricane.  They haven't done hardly any rebuilding out there in the past ten years.  There is a marina and a little store.  We walked around the marina but still couldn't find any alligators or crocodiles (yes, they have both in the Everglades).  We did finally find a Manatee!  I was thrilled at that.  We did stop at one of the lakes and ate our picnic lunch that I packed.  It was cooler in the shade and with the breeze coming off the water.



After this we headed back to the RV.  We had a simple dinner of chicken pot pies.  We are making a change to our schedule.  We originally planned on staying in Key West for 3 days and then returning to this campground.  Since we aren't thrilled with this place we are going to stay 5 days in Key West and make an overnight stop in Miami before heading north to Patrick AFB and the Kennedy Space Center.  So I spent a little time finding a place to stop in Miami.  I think I finally picked a spot but I have to call tomorrow and see if I can get a reservation.  I also spent a little time on the phone with the billing department with the hospital in Carlsbad, NM.  I went to their ER and received a bill from them.  I disagreed with what they say I owe.  I finally got them to see that they were wrong and I will pay them the amount that Tricare says, so I got that bill ready to mail.

That is all for now.  Have a good day and enjoy the pictures.




No comments: