About Me

Traveling the country, United States

Friday, June 09, 2017

Gallup, NM

Friday, 6/09/2017
Gallup, NM
USA RV Resort

Last night was the coolest we have had.  It was nice to sleep with the windows open.  We were up and on the road by 8:45 AM.  This getting up early has got to stop.  The drive was about 215 miles.

Our drive was hard today as we fought wind the entire way.  Also, I40 East is in bad condition throughout Arizona.  The state kept putting up signs that said to watch for elk, which I did, but I certainly didn't see any.

We are spending the next two nights in Gallup, NM, at the USA RV Park.  We stayed here back in 2015.  It is a nice desert park with gravel on the sites.  They have a pool, which we may try out tomorrow.  They also do a BBQ dinner.  We had decided to try it but when we went to the office to purchase the meals we were told they had already sold out!  They had a few large families come in.  And it was only 6:00 PM and they had been open for 30 minutes.  We decided to drive into town and go to Cracker Barrel instead.  Tomorrow we will go to Walmart to pick up a few things.

I called the campground in North Carolina that we stay in on base and was surprised that they are full over the 4th of July weekend.  Normally people leave the bases on holidays, not come there.  That means we will get to stay for a week, then move to a different campground, then come back for the rest of our stay.  I did ask that if they get a cancellation we get put on a standby list.  Hopefully that will happen.  I made a reservation in a campground called Moonlight RV for the holiday time.  We stayed there before.  It is not a great place but will do for 4 nights, until we can get back in the base.

Since there was a problem with reservations in Cherry Point I decided to call Wright-Patterson, the base we stay on near Nick & Aimee.  When I called the guy I talked to said we would have to move a few times and asked me to hold as he was with someone.  He didn't come back on the phone but a lady did.  She told me that they just had a cancellation and I could have the site and won't have to move at all!  Yeah!  This trip I have had more problems with reservations than I have ever had before.  Guess there are either a lot more people on the road or everyone has found my favorite campgrounds.  I might spend some time tomorrow making reservations.

Tomorrow I will take pictures of the campground.  We moved into Mountain Time today so we lost an hour.  Good thing we don't plan on traveling tomorrow.  Have a good night.

No comments: